Examples of Home-Based Business Violations with Corrections

Common Violations of Home-Based Businesses

Certain types of business activities are allowed in residential occupancies if they are registered with the Building Inspections Division of Community Development and Planning Services. Even with a valid registration, a business must not become injurious to the neighborhood and must comply with a number of restrictions. For example, storage, parking and on-site advertising is restricted or prohibited. In addition, only one employee can be at the business at any time.

Examples of what is, and is not, allowed:


  • Computer-based, telephone based
  • Day Care for six (6) or fewer children or adults in addition to the caretaker’s family
  • Direct sellers selling primarily at other locations
  • Hand crafts, art studio, photography studio
  • Housecleaning
  • Instructional art studio, private lessons
  • Office uses identified in Zoning, Article II
  • Sale of homemade goods or products produced or assembled on premise, this does not include food products
  • Office of service providers who render their services offsite
  • Tailor or seamstress

Not allowed:

  • Financial institutions
  • Employment agencies
  • Medical or dental offices
  • Outside storage in excess of one trailer
  • Exhibits of merchandise that can be seen from the public view
  • Onsite advertising or signs except on signs on vehicles
  • Parking of vehicles except in the driveway of, or at the curb adjacent to the premise
  • More than one employee on the premise
  • Offensive odor, noise, or manner of operation
  • Business conducted in an accessory building
  • Customers - from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. - except day care recipients
  • Catering

More Information

  • For questions regarding permitting, please contact Planning and Development Services at 817-459-6502

All home based business activities must be registered with the Building Inspections Division of Community Development and Planning Services. Applications must be submitted online through The One Start Development Center is located at City Hall at 101 W. Abram Street, Second Floor, 76010. Call 817-459-6502 for more information, or visit the Planning & Development Services website.

Report a Concern

Report a code violation online or by calling the Action Center at 817-459-6777. In case of emergency call 9-1-1.