The Certificate of Occupancy (CO) ensures that your building and proposed use of the building/land complies with all regulations of the City of Arlington, including laws and ordinances.

A building or tenant space may not be occupied, and the business may not be operated, until the Certificate of Occupancy is issued through Planning & Development Services (PDS).

Read the Ordinance

Requirements for Certificate of Occupancy

Construction Chapter, Article IV, Section 4.14.A.1-4.

A. When required. No premises, building or structure, except Group R-3 and Group U shall be used or occupied until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued as provided herein. A certificate of occupancy is required when:

  1. The initial occupancy of a building or tenant space.
  2. To change the tenancy or tenant of building or tenant space.
  3. To change the name or ownership of a business.
  4. To expand a lease space.

If you have questions concerning application for Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or other permits, please visit the Planning and Development Services (PDS) website.

For More Information Contact:

Planning and Development Services staff are available to serve you via phone at 817-459-6502 or email [email protected], Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.